Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa


In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

Where to find more info:
Julie Kagawa: http://www.juliekagawa.com/  
                      http://www.bloodofeden.com/

Kathryn's Review 
ARC from Netgalley
First, I have to say that I LOVE Julie Kagawa.  The Iron Fey series was phenomenal and it introduced me to the brilliance of her writing.  So, when I heard she was writing a vampire book/series, I was ecstatic!  And let me begin by saying she is a GENIUS!  The Immortal Rules exceeded all my expectations and definitely ROCKED my world!
So, how does an author write a brilliant story about vampires when so many are out there today?  When I began reading The Immortal Rules, I had it set in my mind of where I thought this book was going to go.  Boy, was I soooo wrong...Nothing turned out the way I expected.  It was so refreshing to enter this world and drown in the pages that described and illustrated such a dark twisted and suspenseful tale of this new vampire world.
What is this new vampire world like?  It is not like anything I have read.  So much has happened to create a world of fear for humans and as I read each page, experiencing the lives they lead each day was depressing.  Yet, in this world, we still see hope and strength in some of the most unlikely people; which introduces us to our heroine Allison Sekemoto, Allie for short.  She is a scavenger, a fighter, a caretaker, a giver, and she is always thinking of others before herself.  But, life is not peachy and in her small group of friends, a twisted turn of events puts Allie in to the decision of her life and once she has made it, EVERYTHING changes....This is where the whole book changed for me.  It blew my mind when Julie allowed this to happen and change the life of Allie.  But, as I said before, Julie is a GENIUS and this is exactly where this book needed to go.  
Now that our heroine has had her life altering experience, we, as the reader, journey through her trials and growth.  We meet the people that will try to destroy her and the ones that will help her become the true heroine she is meant to be.  
The Immortal Rules has everything that a fantastic book should.  Brilliant writing, a dark twisted tale of vampires, conflict, suspense, growth of characters, and most of all, the feeling of longing and sadness that I made it to the end.  
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book...Just like Julie's other series, this is now on my favorites list and I am dying waiting for the next installment in the Blood of Eden series.


=SCORCHER

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend this series. The next two books are equally as good and just as engrossing. Just be sure to start reading when you have a large span of time to devote to reading--because you will not be able to stop once you get started.

    Zia
    wait till you see NEXTFLY Phoenix SEO Company

    ReplyDelete